Thursday, January 19, 2006

My Lineage - a bit of background

Lineage is one of those things that some people say is critically important because it clearly defines who and what you have been exposed to and therefore how valuable your input is in any given discussion about Aikido.

Other people say lineage is not important because you should be able to judge for yourself how informed a person is without referring to who their teachers are. A person stands on their own two feet and not on the shoulders of those who came before.

For myself, I think lineage is important because it gives a basis of comparison in the same way that some universities are known for outstanding programs in some disciplines but not in others. What a person does with the knowledge given is up to the individual but having a recognized and solid foundation to learn from gives everyone who studies there an advantage.

I happen to have been fortunate enough to have had outstanding teachers throughout my aikido journey.


Kimeda Sensei - 1984 - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I started my Aikido journey after viewing a single class taught by Kimeda Sensei.

I had spent a month looking at different martial arts taught by different people in different dojos and gyms. I went through the yellow pages searching for a place that taught the 'martial art' that I wanted to do. I met many different instructors and watched many different classes without knowing what I was looking for. I must have gone to 10 or 12 places before I happened across the "Yoshinkan Aikido" advertisement.

After watching Kimeda Sensei's class for 30 minutes I knew I had found what I was looking for. I joined that night and returned for my first class 2 nights later.


Plomish Sensei - 1988 - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (McMaster University)

My first few years of Aikido were while I was attending university. One of Kimeda Sensei's senior students, Roger Plomish, opened up a club at the university I was going to. I started going to that club instead of Kimeda Sensei's dojo to save myself an hour or so of driving.

When I finished university I continued to train with Plomish Sensei at his Toronto location until I found another excellent instructor closer to where I lived and worked.


Karasawa Sensei - 1990 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was introduced to Karasawa Sensei at a seminar soon after I moved to Toronto. He struck me as a very strong, serious and dedicated man. In the summer months he didn't train very much because his profession demanded most of his time. He created beautiful Japanese gardens and in the summer was very much in demand.

I learned more about Japanese culture and how Aikido fit within the Japanese budo framework from Karasawa Sensei. As a more senior student at this time he was able to show me both the beauty and the power that is within every technique.

I received my shodan from Karasawa Sensei soon before moving to Japan


Yoshinkan Aikido Hombu Dojo - 1993 - Tokyo, Japan (3rd International Instructors Course / Senshusei Course)

After working in Toronto for a little over 3 years I found myself to be searching for something more in life. I had heard of the Yoshinkan International Instructors Course and was fortunate enough to meet a few people who had gone through it.

One of the most charismatic graduates of the course is a man named Georden Reynolds Sensei. After meeting him and listening to his obvious passion and dedication for Yoshinkan I knew I was going. The rest was just details.

The Yoshinkan senshusei course is a grueling 11-month course taught in conjunction with the Tokyo Riot Police. Those of you who have read Angry White Pyjamas by Robert Twigger will have some idea of the intensity of the course and the demands put upon the students.

There are many instructors at the hombu dojo and if I try to list them all I would fail. The ones who I think made the most difference in my life and who had the greatest influence in my Aikido during this period were: Robert Mustard Sensei, Chida Sensei, Ando Sensei, Chino Sensei, Mori Sensei, Shioda Sensei and Oyamada Sensei.

Completing the course was the most worthwhile achievement I had done in my life up to that moment. I was awarded nidan and my International Instructors Certificate in February 1994


Yoshinkan Aikido Hombu Dojo - 1994 - Tokyo, Japan (Sewanin)

I had intended to return to Canada after spending my year in Japan, but fate had other things in store for me. After completing my senshusei course I was asked to stay on as a sewanin - the liaison between the senshusei and the instructors - for the next course.

My fellow senshusei and good friend Michael Kimeda (yes, he's the son of my first instructor) and I were both sewanin for the 4th International Instructors Course. This is the year that Angry White Pyjamas depicts.

The instructors I would like to mention during this period were: Robert Mustard Sensei, Chida Sensei, Inoue Sensei, Ando Sensei, Chino Sensei, Shioda Sensei and Oyamada Sensei.


Yoshinkan Aikido Hombu Dojo - 1995 - Tokyo, Japan (Itaku Shidoin)

The logical thing to have done after the completion of my sewanin year would have been to return to Canada. I didn't do that. I stayed in Tokyo and became an "Itaku Shidion" or "part-time instructor". I remained at the hombu dojo as a part-time foreign instructor until 1999.

The instructors I would like to mention during this period were: Robert Mustard Sensei, Inoue Sensei, Chida Sensei, Chino Sensei, Oyamada Sensei and Itoh Sensei.

I also was fortunate enough to visit Takeno Sensei's dojo many times during this period.


1999 - 2001 Tokyo, Japan (Little or No Training)

My life surged ahead with the birth of my first son in Novemeber 1998 and I found that I couldn't focus on my training, my work and my family to the extent that I wanted to. Something had to give and since my family and my work are intertwined and dependent upon each other, Aikido was the thing I dropped.

Fortunately salvation came in 2001 and I was able to start training again.


2001 Tokyo, Japan (Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido Dojo formed)

A man named Roland Thompson Sensei was one of my instructors during my senshusei course but had slowly withdrawn from the dojo after that. Roland had become a friend over the years and when he found mat space in downtown Tokyo he asked me if I would be interested in helping him form a dojo.

After 2 years of no Aikido I eagerly accepted and the RYA Dojo opened in August 2001.

I do not train at the hombu dojo as much as I should now but with Roland Sensei's tutelage, the patience and dedication of our students and my own memories of 20 years of practice and excellent instruction my Aikido continues to evolve...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home